Monday, May 27, 2013

New Glasses

Saying goodbye for me has always been hard, and this week was no exception to that. As a group we have been together for a little over four months. We all came here pretty much alone, maybe only knowing a few things about the people we would be spending the next semester with but now we are leaving with many bonds that will last for a lifetime. Our group has shared so much together from our cry fest in Amatlan during one of the first few weeks to our Latin dance class where we often times shared humor. When you go through an experience like we did and all we have for support is one another we become more than friends - in my opinion we become a family. This semester I was given a wonderful family to share this experience with.

This past week we all were really able to see how beneficial and just how much we got out of this whole experience living in Mexico for a semester and being in this program.  We had an assignment where we were to choose any topic that we learned about in our time here that touched us and make some sort of creative presentation to bring back to our communities back home. People wrote poems and sermons, one student painted a mural, I made a video and there was so much diversity to not only the way in which people where presenting these topics but also in the topics that people choose. For example, I chose to do my presentation on feminicidios because during my time here learning about that really moved me emotionally, while another student did a presentation on breaking down negative stereotypes of Mexico. Listening to all of these presentations put into perspective just how much we learned during our time here.

On Friday we went to our professor’s house for our last activities with one another as a group. We talked and discussed a lot about what we want to bring back with us from this experience and we made personal pledges. We also talked a lot about reverse culture shock. I never thought in a million years that I would be scared to go back home, but I have grown so much and I am such a new person from this experience that now I question whether or not I will be able to fit back into the life that I left to come to Mexico. What is one to do with so much new knowledge of the world that they live in? I think of it like this… you know how when you get new glasses or a new prescription and the first time you put the glasses on things are a little blurry before everything becomes clearer? That’s exactly how I feel about my experience in Mexico. I was given new lenses to look at my world through, going home is going to be blurry for me at first but I have confidence that everything will become much more clear. 


Graduation!
A colorful butterfly with each piece each one of us and our commitments to our community


Listening to each other's pledges to make a difference

Our group with our beatiful butterfly!


-- Zora Rabb

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautifully written summary of the "family"'s experiences and learning this semester, Zora. The photos are gorgeous too. And we'll remember the "glasses" and "butterfly" metaphors. Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zora,

    Thank you for sharing with us your beautiful blog on new glasses. I love how you used that term as a metaphor for exploring new adventures in life. I am a social worker at Augsburg College, MN but sadly, I will not be traveling to Mexico next semester but I would totally love to just by looking at your motivating pictures! Your blog has really inspired me to live life with integrity, explore new things in life, and wear new lenses like you...once again, Thanks Zora, for sharing with us!

    Enjoy your time in Mexico wisely before you head back home! :D

    Nancy Lee

    ReplyDelete