Friday, February 12, 2010

Week 3: My Values in Mexico as a Foreigner

By Christina Olson
CGE-Mexico Intern
ˉ
Do you "dress to impress?" I know that I do NOT! I used to just throw on jeans and a T-shirt. Now, I think a little bit more about "looking good," whatever that means. Is it because I am getting older? Probably not. Is it because people look at me strangely. No, I don´t think that is it either. So, WHY do I care more about how I dress?
ˉ
In Mexico, class is a big issue. Betty Ramos[1], an interculturalist who presented to us her knowledge and experience with inter-cultural issues said that "there are a lot of ways to show respect." One of them is "dress to impress." How I dress (look) defines the class that I come from (even if it is just an assumption). Dress is important--shoes, shirts, jewelry.
ˉ
Betty Ramos and some of the students after her presentation
ˉ
Now, there are two sides for me, a white, foreign, heterosexual, middle-class girl from EEUU (Estados Unidos=USA). One is that I can dress however I want and that won´t affect how people define the class that I come from. Why is that? PRIVILEGE. I have power, and I have privilege just by being white and coming from EEUU. I don´t have to worry about how I dress.
ˉ
BUT...that is now why I think a little bit more about "looking good." It is not because I have to. It is because I now know that if I dress up a little bit (actually iron my shirts...) I can show respect to others when they: invite me over; when at church; just walking downtown in a city that is not mine. In this way I can show respect without abusing my privilege. That is the other side.
ˉ
One student role-playing a presentation in two different pretend cultural settings
ˉ
I have heard Betty Ramos speak a few times now, and the information that she presents never ceases to show me that the negative or uncomfortable interactions that I have had with friends in Mexico have a lot to do with cultural values and the ways that we each have been raised in a different community and country. Neither is bad.
ˉ
It is very important to learn about cultural differences and values. Especially as a Social Worker in EEUU. Example: Instead of thinking that a client is too dependent on his/her family, I should stop myself and think "maybe being independent is a cultural value that I hold, but that isn´t true for everyone."
ˉ
Have you had any inter-cultural experiences that were uncomfortable? Do you think they might have been due to cultural differences? For social work students: what should you do when there is a cultural clash with a client?
ˉ
As Betty Ramos says, "Listen to your intuitions; Listen to your heart."
ˉ
[1] Betty Ramos, interculturalist, experienced cultural intermediary, and author of THE GEO-CONTEXT; presentation on February 12, 2010 in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your view about perception based on clothing. I have never thought of it like that before. Just like you i took advantage of the privilege of being able to wear whatever i want when i want and not really have to worry about it. I agree that you should present your self with respect for others, but i don't see a point in having to look "professional" all the time. Sometimes i just want to be comfortable or just running around doing errands so jeans and a t shirt are fine for me. Maybe that does come with age and being in different country and culture i can see how looking presentable shows some respect for those you are around. It is hard to predict cultural clashes with clients but we just have to be able to pick up on social cues and the way they present themselves to try and make them more at ease.

    (Leah Jacobson)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I like how you talked about clothing and how the way one dresses shows the amount of respect that person has. I am totally one for wearing sweat pants and being comfortable but I do understand that it's very important to "dress up" in certain situations. Years ago before Augsburg, I traveled to Cuernavaca and when I was there I had be very careful about how dressed up I was. The facualty I was with said that we needed to dress down and try not to bring more attention to ourselves. Very interesting to hear that you are wanted to "dress to impress." Again thanks for the blog! Hope your having fun there!!
    Brianna Klatt

    ReplyDelete